Thursday, November 24, 2011

Some Lasts and Firsts

Lord willing, I'll be back in the U.S. for the next 6 months to visit family, friends, and churches before returning again to Mozambique. 




Here are Some Lasts...
Last trip to Quissico, Inhambane for a discipleship training weekend.


Last evening church service with brothers and sisters in Nyadumbuque, Inhambane


Last discipleship training with Pastor Abel. He will continue them in the new year.


Last Quissico Women's Bible Study.
Mama Vitoria will continue in the new year.

Last prayer meeting with my colleagues in Maputo.


Here are Some Firsts...


The pots and pans here are washed using sand/dirt and water (to scour) and then soap and water to clean. This is the first pot (in this case a tea-pot) that after I cleaned it, when I asked if it needed to be "re-done" by a Mozambican woman (which it usually does), I received the amazing response that it was done, all by myself!  


First coconut that I opened correctly (!) using a machete so that it could be grated on a Mozambican grating stool.

First time my head was fully braided

My first esteira (mat) used mostly for women and children to sit on the ground.

My truck has done a lot of off-road driving in very rural areas to share about God's love in Jesus, encourage, and disciple God's beloved Mozambican people. It has also carried 25 people (at the same time) to be baptized. The truck has had a lot of firsts, but one of the most notable to me was...

The first time a plant grew in my car!


All you need is - lots of dust and dirt, some random seed/s (probably blown in by the wind), no washing, and some rain that leaks a bit down the hood, and voila...a car plant!


And lastly, although this is not in Mozambique and it's very random, this is the first surfing rat I've ever seen! I discovered this picture of "Tofu" (the amazing surfing rat) on the website of a wave photographer.


After a very full couple of weeks preparing to leave, I'll be heading to Brazil to speak at a church convention in Maringá. I would appreciate your prayer for God's Spirit to be upon me as I share.

Thank you so much!