Monday, December 12, 2011

Brazil

On my way back to the U.S. from Mozambique I was privileged to visit and share with the National Convention of Missionary Churches in Brazil.   

Pastor Jacó Vieira, the president of the Brazilian Missionary Churches, who had visited Mozambique in October and had invited me to come to Brazil, introduced me to the pastors at the convention.

I spoke with the pastors about the work in Mozambique.  

I showed them what typical clothes look like by using a capulana (the material wrapped around the waist) and a lenco (the material wrapped around the head).

This lovely missionary family, the Routons - Micah and Marla with their daughters Samara and Noelle, took great care of me while I was there.

After the convention week for the pastors, I shared with the youth at the Maringa Central Church the story of how I came to believe in the existence of God, and how He eventually called me to serve Him in Africa. I shared that although God does not want everyone to serve in Africa, He does have the best plan for each of our lives, and I encouraged these precious young people to trust God and surrender their lives and plans to Him.

I was blessed by the visit of dear friends Mario and Renata Gomes with their Grandma and their two boys Rodrigo and Victor, who traveled from another city to visit me while I was there. This Brazilian family lived in the U.S. for 5 years, and was a part of my Brazilian church in Los Angeles. We spent several precious hours together catching up and sharing what God is doing in our lives.   

Lastly, I was privileged to speak at the three Sunday services at the Central Church. Pastor Jaco, behind me in this picture, asked me to start out each service by singing a traditional worship song in the Tsonga language.   

It was encouraging to share with Brazilian brothers and sisters who have hearts to love and serve their Portuguese speaking brothers and sisters in Mozambique!